New Zealand Mountain guiding specialists. Queenstown Mountain Guides specialise in guided ascents of premier New Zealand mountaineering peaks and private instruction courses.
There are guiding and instruction options to suit all budgets:
- choose from 5 - 10 days of guiding
- choose to fly in and fly out by aircraft
- choose walk in and walk out options
Our New Zealand mountain guiding program is for climbers looking to climb premier New Zealand mountaineering objectives. This could be ascents of classic New Zealand 3000m peaks like Malte Brun or the Minarets or technical alpine climbing routes for example the South Face of Mt Douglas or the East Face of Walter. Our private instruction is customised to suit the participant's future climbing goals. This could be expedition climbing skills or focusing on teaching individuals or rope teams lead climbing skills on steep snow and ice with more difficult objectives on the trip.
Private Guiding & Instruction is normally based from high mountain huts in the Southern Alps. Tent based climbing is also an option for climbing more remote peaks or gaining expedition snow camping skills. Below is a list of some possible venues for private guiding & instruction.
- Tasman & Murchison Glaciers - A classic venue for ascents and instruction offering a huge variety of snow, ice, and rock routes.
- Mt Aspiring Region - A good option for a fly in and walk out trip. Focus on instruction and then make a climb of Mt Aspiring as part of the trip.
- Grand Plateau - Located at the base of New Zealand's highest mountains - Mt Cook & Mt Tasman as well as other 3000m giants. This is a good venue for early season guiding and instruction and a great place to get very close to New Zealand's highest peak - Aoraki Mt Cook.
- West Coast Neve's, Fox & Franz Joseph Glaciers - Huge variety of climbing objectives for all levels of climbers. The large glaciers at the base of the peaks on the main divide stretch all the way the the Tasman Ocean. Views all the way to the Tasman ocean on a clear day. Perfect venue for ascents and instruction with the advantage of cheap helicopter access and egress.
- Darran Mountains, New Zealand Alpine Rock Climbing - (New Zealand's Patagonia) Mix of incredible granite rock peaks, glaciers, and snow fields. This location is the premier alpine rock climbing destination in New Zealand and known as the Patagonia of New Zealand. This is where mountain guides go to climb when they are not climbing and our favourite location for private guiding. As well as the world class rock faces and alpine ridge lines the Darrans also offer significant snow and ice ascents on large remote, and spectacular, glaciated peaks.
Other related trips
Climb Mount Aspiring
New Zealand Alpine Rock Climbing
"It was a pleasure for me to have spent my time in the New Zealand mountains with you. Very professional, very reliable and just what I was looking for! The training was way better than I expected, and the guiding was superb. I totally recommend QMG to anyone (beginner or experienced) who is looking for a great training / guiding trip. Thank you for everything!" E Kouray